10/15/2010 3:11:54 PM
And the Winner is ...
Congratulations to Team Living Planet Aquarium, the top scoring team in our Summer 2010 Project Polar Bear Contest. Team members Rachel Davidson and Ashtyn Olsen of Sandy, Utah, both 17, have been dubbed the Polar Bear Girls in their community due to their efforts to increase recycling to reduce CO2.
Their many projects included:
- A 4th of July booth where they surveyed local residents and shared recycling tips
- Establishing a recycling project at the Living Planet Aquarium
- Organizing and taking part in a clean-up day at Hidden Hollow Park that resulted in cans, bottles, and glass containers to recycle—plus a cleaner park!
- Outreach to local businesses
- Presentations at the aquarium and to school groups
The team's efforts earned them semi-finalist status. Additional semi-finalist teams from around the country will be selected from the teams competing in the fall session. The top four teams will become finalists and we will win a trip to San Diego, California, for the awards weekend to take place in late April 2011.
Way to go, team!