© Craig Taylor
10/27/2017 5:11:03 PM
Polar Bear Season Begins!
Here at Polar Bears International, fall brings the fresh beginnings of polar bear season in Churchill, Manitoba. After months of busy preparations, boxes piling up in offices, and travel arrangements finalized, our staff has mobilized to monitor, both in person and from afar, the first polar bears returning to Hudson Bay to wait for the sea ice to form. Several bears spotted on the tundra have joined the flurry of activity we’ve already met—blustery winter winds, ptarmigan, snowy owls, hares, and Arctic foxes.
The arrival of these first bears and the changing northern season also signals the start of our outreach season. Here’s a quick peek at what’s up this week:
- Our team is testing the Polar Bear Cams, getting ready to bring the polar bear migration to you! Head on over to watch live action or enjoy highlights.
- We’ll jump-start the season with two live chats, the first one TODAY at 12:30 pm CT(Cam Kick-Off!), and the other on Wednesday, October 25th at 2 pm CT (Celebrating Polar Bears). For details, see our live chat schedule.
- We’ve also scheduled our first Tundra Connections webcasts for the season, partnering with Discovery Education on this week’s series: Paws Up for Polar Bears, for grades K-5,
will air on Thursday, October 26th at 10 am CT, and Cold Careers: Working with Polar Bears, for grades 6-8+, is Thursday, October 26th at 12 pm CT. Check out the complete schedule.
- Our annual fundraising gala, A Celebration of Hope, will take place in Winnipeg, gateway to Churchill, on Saturday, October 28th. Our heartfelt thanks to the sponsors and attendees who make this event possible.
- And, finally, we invite you to visit our website to keep up with blog posts from Churchill. One recent post introduces Flat Nanuk, a polar bear who loves to travel and meet kids. Watch for sightings on our Facebook page—including some from Churchill.
I’ll be in touch next Monday with a look at the week ahead!