© Daniel J. Cox/Natural Exposures.com
2/9/2017 11:25:42 AM
International Polar Bear Day - February 27th!
We’re counting down the days to International Polar Bear Day on Monday, February 27th! And this year, more than ever, polar bears need your focus and your care.
You’re invited to celebrate with us by pledging to exercise your rights as a citizen and speak up for bold action on climate, on Polar Bear Day and every day! We'll keep in touch with alerts and ways to get involved.
Next, help us make it a global day of action for the bears by taking part in our Thermostat Challenge at home, work, or school.
It's simple: just lower your thermostat up on February 27th to reduce your carbon emissions and help polar bears. And then make every day a polar bear day by buying and installing a programmable thermostat or taking extra steps to reduce your energy consumption throughout the year.
Special Polar Bear Day Coverage: Visit our Facebook page throughout the day to hear short, live broadcasts from an array of scientists, staff, and special guests—and post your questions! Here's our schedule (which may be a bit fluid due to Internet connections and other issues):
- 7 am MT - Alysa McCall, Polar Bears International (introduction, live from Yellowknife, Canada)
- 8 am MT – Yorkshire Wildlife Park (polar bear care, live from the UK)
- 9 am MT – Dr. Thea Bechshoft, University of Alberta (fun polar bear facts and research, live from Denmark)
- 10 am MT- BJ Kirschhoffer and Krista Wright, Polar Bears International, with guest Dr. Megan Owen of San Diego Zoo Global (maternal den research, live from Svalbard, Norway)
- 11 am MT - Cassandra Debets and lab members, University of Manitoba (seals and belugas in Hudson Bay, live from Winnipeg, Canada)
- 12 pm MT- Ron Togunov and Alex Beatty, University of Alberta (polar bear migration and movement patterns, live from Edmonton, Canada)
- 1 pm MT – Liz Larsen, Utah’s Hogle Zoo (Utah’s contributions to polar bear conservation, live from Salt Lake City, USA)
- 2 pm MT - Alysa McCall, Polar Bears International (Polar Bear Cams, live from Yellowknife, Canada)
- 3 pm MT - Jody Reimer and Erin Henderson, University of Alberta (the Arctic ecosystem and polar bears, live from Edmonton, Canada)
- 5 pm MT - Geoff York, Polar Bears International (human bear conflict, live from Bozeman, Montana, USA)
- 6 pm MT - Alysa McCall, Polar Bears International (wrap up, live from Yellowknife, Canada)
Donate: Choose the "in honor of" option and we'll send a handsome International Polar Bear Day e-certificate, instantly!, in your name or a loved one's honor.
Scale It Up: Check out our Thermostat Challenge Toolkit for ideas on expanding the challenge in your community—a great project for schools.