© Madison Stevens/Polar Bears International
10/25/2015 10:33:13 PM
Week Two Dispatch from Churchill
As the snow starts to blow in, things are getting busier in Churchill. More bears arrive on the coast every day, waiting eagerly for the ice to return to Hudson Bay. On Buggy One, we're getting ready to launch another exciting season in the Polar Bear Capital of the World!
Our Polar Bear Cam is now live, so hop onto our site to see what the bears are up to today!
This week we're partnering with TakingItGlobal and the Centre for Global Education to bring you POLAR BEARS IN BERETS: CHURCHILL TO PARIS—a series of webcasts focused on the upcoming climate talks in Paris, what they mean for polar bears, and the role of the youth voice in mobilizing climate action.
For the beret series, we're excited to welcome panelists including educator and executive director of TakingItGlobal Jennifer Corriero, Inupiat native Jack Omelak, climate scientist Jennifer Kay from the University of Colorado Boulder, and youth activist Gerrit Wesselink from the Youth Arctic Coalition.
We've also lined up a few short, informal live chats this week. We'll give you a bear-sized welcome to the tundra, talk about Arctic cams, and chat with Jack Omelak about what it's like to live with polar bears.
Looking ahead, we'll welcome renowned climate scientist and activist Katharine Hayhoe to Churchill next weekend. On Sunday, she'll join our chief scientist, Dr. Steven Amstrup, to talk about her work bridging the gap between religion and science to forge solutions to climate change.
Here's the week's schedule at a glance:
- Monday, October 26th (2:00 p.m. Central Time, Tentative) - WELCOME TO THE TUNDRA - Live chat
- Tuesday, October 27th (Webcast, 11:00 a.m. Central Time) -THE ROAD FROM CHURCHILL TO PARIS: POLAR BEARS AND COP21 - Webcast
- Wednesday, October 28th (10:00 a.m. Central Time) - CLIMATE JUSTICE: WHY CLIMATE CHANGE IS A SOCIAL ISSUE AND WHAT WE CAN DO TO HELP - Webcast
- Wednesday, October 28th (2:00 p.m. Central Time) -LIVE CAMS IN THE ARCTIC - FROM POLAR BEARS TO SNOWY OWLS - Live chat
- Thursday, October 29th (Webcast, 1:00 p.m. Central Time) - CONNECTING CLIMATE CHANGE IN YOUR BACKYARD TO ECOSYSTEMS AROUND THE WORLD - Webcast
- Friday, October 30th (10:00 a.m. Central Time) - LIVING WITH POLAR BEARS - INUPIAT NATIVE JACK OMELAK - Live chat
- Sunday, November 1st (11:30 a.m. Central Time) - THE CHALLENGES OF COMMUNICATING CLIMATE CHANGE, WITH KATHARINE HAYHOE - Live chat
For more information on each broadcast, check out the complete schedule. And please be sure to register ahead of time for our Tundra Connections webcasts so we can send you links to educational materials and resources related to the panels. Knowing the numbers and demographics of our viewers also helps us continue our programming and keep up support for polar bear conservation.
Thanks for your participation and enthusiasm!